Saturday, September 29, 2012

New Book: Robin Hood by David Calcutt (Author), Grahame Baker-Smith (Illustrator)



Robin Hood by David Calcutt (Author), Grahame Baker-Smith (Illustrator) is a new book and just what I like in a Robin Hood book, beautiful illustrations. I love it now and would have adored it as a kid. I haven't read it, just seen the illustrations, but that's enough to add it to my wishlist. There's not been enough Robin Hood for kids in recent years in my opinion especially considering the success of BBC's Robin Hood and Merlin series. I prefer the Merlin series but prefer the Robin Hood legend.


Book description:

The champion of the destitute and downtrodden rides again. Meet young Robin Hood before he becomes the hero of Sherwood Forest, and follow along with his band of merry men as his adventures become the stuff of legend. This lavishly illustrated picture book makes a wonderful gift title and features nine tales including: Robin Becomes an Outlaw, Robin Meets Little John, Robin and the Widow, and Robin's Last Battle.


3 comments:

  1. Great illustrations! I especially like the third with the light across their faces and the frosty breath. The stylistic difference between the figures and the background make them appear to be in a wonderland.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This book is already on my list of things to buy for my youngest for his birthday. We love Barefoot Books (the publisher of this and many other fine tales)! If you ever find yourself just outside Boston (in Concord, where "the shot heard 'round the world" took place), definitely stop by the Barefoot Books studio/store, where you can see all their publications in glorious living color. There is also a Barefoot Books store inside FAO Schwartz in NYC.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for posting about this one-- I've found way too few Robin Hood (and King Arthur) books!

    ~Lylassandra

    ReplyDelete