Wednesday, November 4, 2009

Fairy Tales in Stitches: Willow Hill Samplings


Today's stitches come from Willow Hill Samplings and are much less romantic and much less complex designs, charming in their old-fashioned simplicity. I just discovered this line during my research, so I haven't sewn or seen one in person, but I am tempted by them. I would have to brighten the colors for myself since I prefer bright jewel tones to the aged, antique look. So if these simpler designs are more your taste, but the colors are off-putting, remember they can be changed quite easily. And a white or cream fabric would make a big difference, too.

I will have to order one or two of these once I decide which are really my favorites. I think I prefer Rapunzel and Cinderella although I am tickled by them all. I like the storytelling design of Cinderella and Rapunzel's tower which has always been a tale close to my heart. However, I might change the words just a little if I sew that one. It's accurate, but I know too many versions to be willing to stick with just one...


I can imagine myself looking at the Cinderella sampler over and over if I had seen it is a child, telling myself the story with the little images. It also makes a great sampler for smaller hands learning to sew at the intermediate level. I remember well the unicorn that was my first attempts at sewing. Despite my weariness of the story, I am charmed by that pumpkin carriage and am tempted to pick this design as my favorite.


The Snow White is also fun, but once again, not my favorite fairy tale. I have to admit I am growing to enjoy it more as I work on my Sleeping Beauties collection which will include several Snow Whites and Sleeping Beauties.


I went ahead and included the Alice in Wonderland Sampler, too.


Most of the patterns--and most of the images--I've shown this week are available through 123stitch.com. I am in no way affiliated with them or any of the designers I've discussed. However, I have ordered from 123 Stitch and am a satisfied customer.

1 comment:

  1. The Rapunzel and Cinderella ones are my favorites. Like you, I'm charmed by the pumpkin carriage... would be tempted to use just that portion of the design.

    ReplyDelete